Friday, June 8, 2007

A Straight Shooter

Sometimes you see someone at their job, and you're thankful that person is there. That's the feeling I came away with this morning after sitting in on a breakfast question and answer session at Ft. Bragg.
General Richard Cody, Deputy Chief of Staff of the Army, sat down with a few dozen Officers and NCO's at a post dining facility (DFAC). The General spoke in a down-to-earth, soldierly manner to men who have a personal knowledge of this war. He told them the reasons certain things were being done, and why specific policies were made at higher levels. He spoke of his feelings on those things, and what he expected of the men seated around him. In addition, he told the men of things that he wanted to implement in order to help soldiers, and make the burden on them and their families easier to bare. I won't go into detail, because when a four-star says "it stays in this room", well, it stays in that room.
I can give you my personal observations though, which is what this blog was intended to do. That said, this is the type of man that you would want your sons and daughters to serve under. Intelligent, professional, caring, dedicated, and above all, concerned with the welfare of the soldiers of the U.S. Army. I wish the regular media would do candid interviews with leaders such as General Cody, it might change some attitudes on the handling of this war.
When breakfast was over, the General shook each soldiers hand, gave them a commemorative coin, and wished them luck.

3 comments:

Gary MacLeod said...

Eric,

Do you get to carry any protection once get to your assignment? Do you need to wear something specific to shows that you are a photographer? Do you do your own thing, or are you assigned to things by the unit you're with?

Keep the stories coming!

Sue & Marty said...

Eric,
Since you have'nt posted anything in a few days does this mean that you have gone over? If so BE SAFE!!! I am going to spread the word about your blog at the freedom run on Saturday, I'm sure you'll hear from alot of people. Too bad you won't be there I've never seen anyone camp with a poncho and pack of gum before.

An American said...

Gary, Protection is my kevlar and body armor, and I can dress however I want, but I will be wearing ACU's and DCU's, I think journalists in bright blue helmets and vests make nice targets. I am embedded with an infantry company and will be on all of their missions with them. Good guys, they've given me full access to everything.
And Sue, it was a t-shirt and a pack of gum, cuz thats how I roll!